All of our kids love this delicious loaf, especially when it’s warm out the oven and served with a spread of butter. It’s also an easy way to include some sunflower seeds in their diet which are a high in fibre and a source of essential fatty acids.
ALLERGENS: gluten, dairy, egg
INGREDIENTS FOR A LOAF (12 SLICES)
|1 3⁄4 cups whole meal spelt flour (approx. 220g)|
|1.5 teaspoons baking powder (We use Bob’s Red Mill Organic brand)|
|1⁄4 cup rapadura sugar|
|1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|2 heaped Tablespoons sunflower seeds|
|2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 250g)|
|80 – 100mls full cream milk|
|1 large banana, peeled and cut into thin slices lengthways|
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grease and line your loaf tin.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla.
- Add the mashed banana to the wet mix and whisk a bit more.
- Make a well (hole) in the centre of the dry mix and stir through the wet mix. Stir together thoroughly with a spatula,
- but do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased and lined tin.
- Evenly distribute the long banana slices on top of the batter.
For a loaf bake for approximately 30 minutes. Check for doneness by making sure a skewer inserted comes out clean.